Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Blue Jay"

I have a pretty neat situation going on in my backyard. Right outside the window by the breakfast table I have a tree. In this tree a Blue Jay has built a nest and decided to raise the youngsters here. The bird is very dedicated as it sits there in the nest all day long. No matter the weather conditions or the roaming cat that wanders down below the bird just sits there incubating those eggs. It is almost intoxicating watching that bird peacefully sit there after I watched the nest be constructed over the past few weeks. I'm very interested to see the babies come, I think that will be really cool. I have put some bird seed out at the base of the tree but I'm not sure if it is what the Blue Jay likes? Does anybody know what Blue Jays like?

4 comments:

  1. i am not sure what they like. I know that they have different types of bird seed and I am sure that they have one for the blue jay. I love to sit and watch animals and would love it if I had a nest right outside of my window. I sit outside all the time and watch the squirrels running around and playing. It is very relaxing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first glance, I thought this was about the baseball team, blue jays. Myself being a cardinals fan figured I would have to chime in. But, back on subject cardinal or blue jay alike, they are beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! Take lots of pictures! You can document the whole developing family! One year we had some birds that nested in teh flower box under the kitchen window. It was such a great learning opportunity for my son to watch it all unfold! Nature is absolutely amazing if we just watch it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have blue jays all over the place. They seem to like sunflower seeds and corn, but the love acorns. I have quite a few oak trees, so those keep them coming back.

    I'm with Lela--take pictures!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete